Avulsion [extraction of a tooth]
How is a tooth extracted?
As soon as anesthesia works well, the tooth is separately wobbled with a special instrument. As the element is already loose the dentist draws it out with a special instrument.
What is important after extraction of a tooth?
- For the first 15 minutes it is recommended to bite on a gauze.
- Do not spit or rinse.
- Don’t perform heavy work or lifting. Better to give your body some rest.
- Do not drink alcohol or smoke.
- Don’t blow your nose hard, after avulsion of a molar in the upper jaw.
- In case of bleeding fold a gauze or a clean handkerchief twice, and bite hard on the place the tooth was extracted. In case the bleeding continues, consult your dentist.
- In case of pain after the procedure normally you can take paracetamol or ibuprofen tablet. Do not use aspirin.
- Cooling the cheek at the area of a complicated extraction with ice can reduce the swelling.
- Avoid warm food or drinks for couple of hours after the procedure.
Before any procedure is done, inform your dentist of all medication you use, especially if there are blood thinners among it.
Implant in dentistry is an artificial root, a sort of a screw which is surgically placed in a jaw where natural elements are missing. Most implants are made of titanium which is a bio compatible metal, therefore the body does not reject it and that’s why the bone grows around and directly against it. The surface of the implant is prepared in a way that accelerates the bone growth around it and as a result of which after heeling, it will sit in more condensed bone. Nowadays the rate of success of implants is 95%. At reconstructive operations, diabetic patients and smokers the percentages are lower.
Advantages of implants
- They improve comfort by replacing missing elements in the mouth without all the disadvantages of frames and prostheses.
- They improve the function of chewing and give the feeling of having natural teeth.
- The preparation of healthy element as done for conventional bridge is obsolete.
- The reduction of the functional alveolar bone after the loss of element is stopped and as a result , it gives more support for the soft tissues of the face.